Re: [vile] setv for buffer-local variables?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] setv for buffer-local variables?
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 20:08:47 -0500

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 06:03:18PM -0500, Wayne Cuddy wrote:
> > I use eval (execute-string) in this macro in vileinit.rc:
> Exactly what I was looking for. Darn, I checked the help page and macros
> file and didn't see anything about eval, though I forgot to check the
> sample vileinit.rc. Is it documented somewhere or am I just blind in my
> old age?

Well, I have an advantage here, since I wrote it (I remember commenting
to Paul Fox that I was going to add "eval", and his reply to the effect
that every language ought to have one, just like lisp).

What I did was see your mail, recall that "eval" was what I'd use,
did :describe-bindings to see that the two were equivalent,

"execute-string"
  or    "eval"
  ( evaluate expression, reinterpret as a command (CNT as per command) )

and then looked in the ".rc" files for a use of it.  The toggle tabs/list
macros started off in my ~/.vilerc, and a quick check on its history
tells me that I moved those macros to vileinit.rc in 1999.  That fits
with the entry from CHANGES.R8:

 (tom) 990717 (l)
        + implement a simple 'eval' or 'execute-string' command, allowing users
          to construct commands dynamically.

The macro which I quoted in the previous mail was what I wanted the "eval"
for, so that's where I found it.

But it didn't occur to me to write a section in macros.doc showing how
this would be an especially useful feature :-)

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
https://invisible-island.net