vms-gnu-emacs

Re: (no subject)

From: Charles Sebold
Subject: Re: (no subject)
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 13:28:32 -0500

On 26 Tammuz 5761, Earl Coombs wrote:

> I've used emacs on unix and nt for 7 years.  Now I find myself on vms.
> Can anybody help me do an installation or point to a compiled version
> that I could try out on openvms?  thanks

Hard to find a compiled version.  I found at some point a copy of Emacs
18 that worked for VAX, but it is flaky and didn't support networks.
Somebody on comp.os.vms mailed me a copy of Emacs 19.28 for Alpha that
worked OK after massive logical defining and juggling.  I will see if I
still have that and put it up somewhere for you, if you like...

Yes, I do.  It will go here:

http://www.livingtorah.org/~csebold/download/emacs-19_28-bin.zip

I am sure that Unix will mangle the file so you will have to massage it
to make it unzip.  I don't remember everything I had to do to get this
to work, but it involved things like:

$ define/process/tran=conc utl$disk user_disk4:[user.sebold.]
$ define emacs_library user_user4:[sebold.lib.emacs.]
$ runemacs :== "$user_user4:[sebold.bin.axp]emacs.exe -MAP
user_user4:[sebold.bin.axp]emacs.dump"

Can't help you if you're on VAX, sorry.  But if you're running an early
enough version of DEC C you might just be able to compile it with
Richard Levitte's patches on your own.
--
Charles Sebold                                      26th of Tammuz, 5761
Random Answer to an Emacs Very Frequently Asked Question: