vrs-development

Re: [Vrs-development] Some file system possibilities

From: Chris Smith
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] Some file system possibilities
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 12:07:13 +0000

On Friday 08 February 2002 13:09, you wrote:
> Hello Chris,
>
> After some more thinking and work on the file system
> Repository, I'm begininning to think that it may
> indeed by quite possible to model a full, hiearchial
> file system instead of just flat files.  A Cluster
> Block might be considered the equivilant of a FS
> inode.  If modeled this way, we may be able to map an
> entire fs into the Mirror blocks.
>
> This, used in combination with the chroot function for
> the LDS group of binaries may let us run the full
> equivilant of a dynaminc server, not just a partially
> functional one.

Excellent.
I'd still like the option to be able to have webservices call onto other
webservices, which may be remote.  This will allow you to deploy lightweight
services (in terms of their data content) around the web, and keep the
heavyweight - huge data set - webservices on one or two machines that one has
control over.  The transfer of large data sets is going to be nasty (slow and
cumbersome), allowing 'rpc' in this way I think will reduce that issue, so
long as network lag isn't too much of an issue.

--
Chris Smith
  Technical Architect - netFluid Technology Limited.