vrs-development

Re: [Vrs-development] CProgamming setup

From: Bill Lance
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] CProgamming setup
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 07:40:55 -0700 (PDT)

--- Chris Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 April 2002 13:26, you wrote:
> > --- Chris Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > I'm going to need some coding help too in a few
> > > weeks, who's up for it?
> >
> > If we are going to proceed with the perl prototype
> > plan, perhaps we should be sure we all are on the
> same
> > perl version and CPAN set.  I have perl 5.601
> running
> > on Mandrake 8.1.
>
> perl 5.6.x should be fine.
>
> > What CPAN's are we going to need for the GW
> support,
> > and network support also, I supose?
>
> Well you've had the test examples woking for GW so
> you're
> sorted.
>
> Some of the CM code will have to be in C I think
> (tighter
> integration with Goldwater) but I've not put my
> finger on
> the exact bit yet.
>
> We need a 'data container' that will allow us to
> package
> structs/lists etc and send them back and forth
> between
> our goldwater 'services'.  Some services be in C,
> others
> in Perl (at least for now) so data interchange must
> be
> language independant.
> Serialisation into XML is ideal for this - if a bit
> verbose,
> and I've got a perl class a wrote a while ago that
> might
> just do the trick, I just need to see if a C
> equivalent is
> possible.....
>

>From what I've started with the Cluster Image design,
it's looking like a hiearchial key tree structure.  In
perl, I'd implement this as a hash-of-hashes.  But
that can be a real bitch to serialize.  Since the perl
part is intended to be temporary anyway, perhaps we
should think about setting this up as a tie to
something external that C can see too.  Althought that
might mean a disk file, which I really wanted to avoid
for security reasons.