vrs-development

Re: [Vrs-development] VRS development language

From: Chris Smith
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] VRS development language
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 16:46:09 +0100

Been away and catching up on email now.... so if this has been addressed then
fogive me, but a few comments from the Goldwater point of view are probably
useful.

On Friday 26 April 2002 23:51, you wrote:

> Would it be possible to separate various aspects of the VRS system into
> things that need to be coded at a system level in C and things that could
> be coded at a higher level in a safe language?

Yes we can and probably should.
Goldwater is a modular middleware infrastructure within which applications
may be built.  The application is broken down into functional modules and
Goldwater performs messge passing and routing between them (across the
network if needs be).  These modules may currently be written in C, C++ and
Perl.

The Goldwater API is written in C, in two levels, private and public, where
the public API exposes the private.  If you wrote the public API in Java that
hooked down into the private level, then that'd give you a Java binding for
Goldwater.  The Goldwater API was designed with this in mind.

Or you could re-implement the API in Java (but that'd be much more work and
you'd have two implementations of the same system - so maintainance would be
high).

I currently use SWIG to wrap the low-level C API into a Perl module.

I am not a Java expert.
How easy is it to wrap a simple C library so Java may use it???

Chris
--
Chris Smith
  Technical Architect - netFluid Technology Limited.