vrs-development

Re: [Vrs-development] Jump-start / status check

From: Eric Altendorf
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] Jump-start / status check
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 00:40:26 -0700

On Saturday 05 October 2002 15:58, Ian Fung wrote:
> ya, me too. we're at the stage where we're actually designing the
> whole thing. so I'm thinking... you were going to look into the SM.
> if you can kinda dig into that and find out exactly what needs to
> happen that would be good. to be honest I have no idea what really
> needs to happen for that. we talked about executing in a sandbox,
> so I dunno if we're still interested in doing that. we should meet
> on irc.. maybe tomorrow? next week during the week is really bad
> for me. so either tomorrow or next weekend.

OK, here's my initial try.  In one sentence, "the services manager is
the module that coordinates the reception of service requests and
their actual fulfillment by the web services (aka EDO's)."

In short, at a very high/abstract level, I see the SM doing the
following:

* listening for EDO service requests
* checking to see if the requested service is "enabled"
  (allowed to be run) on that node
* If it's enabled, the EDO for that service is loaded
  from the RM (if it's not already loaded), and then executed,
  the results being returned to the client
* If it's not enabled, the SM checks with the cluster manager
  to locate another node which supports the required service,
  and forwards the request to that node.

Is the general mode of operation you guys envisioned?  If so, I can
try to flesh out the design a little more.  If not, let's discuss!

Eric

--
"First they ignore you.  Then they laugh at you.
 Then they fight you.  And then you win."             -Gandhi