vrs-development

Re: [Vrs-development] Authentication

From: Eric Altendorf
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] Authentication
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 16:31:23 -0700

On Monday 07 October 2002 10:45, Chris Smith wrote:
> 1. An LDS connects to a subset of all the LDS's in the VRS.
>    It knows about ALL the LDS's in the VRS, but only has direct
> connection to a finite number of them.
>    This means the RM needs to keep track of ALL segments of data in
> the repository.
>    Messages are routed to the next-nearest LDS for forwarding if a
> direct connection is not available.
>    The connection list is modified if frequent 'forwards' are
> required.
>
> 2. An LDS is connected to a subset of all LDS's in the VRS.
>    It does not know about any other LDS's in the VRS.
>    The RM only needs to keep track of it's own segments of data.
>    There is no intelligent modification of connection-list
> possible, as the LDS does not know about other LDS's (other than
> those to which it is connected).

I would also support choice 1.  I personally think that if the RM
doesn't know about all the nodes in the VRS, it will be very
difficult (or maybe impossible) to keep the data synchronized, and so
the RM would thus actually be easier to implement under choice 1.  I
have a feeling Ian may have a different opinion, though, so I look
forward to his ideas....

eric
--
"First they ignore you.  Then they laugh at you.
 Then they fight you.  And then you win."             -Gandhi