watt-dev

Re: [Watt-dev] A cross-language spec for WATT

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Watt-dev] A cross-language spec for WATT
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 21:38:15 +0100

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 02:37:23PM -0700, David Lutterkort wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 13:15, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > So, either you are stunned in silence from its sheer brilliant, so the
> > idea is soo laden with crack its not worthy of reply ;-) Assuming the
> > former
>
> Assumption is correct ;)
>
> >   * Formalize the notes from my previous into a real spec
> >     (in docbook ?) and add it to the project website.
>
> HTML should do for now. For the XML file format, we probably want to
> have a DTD/XML schema/any kind of more formal format definition.

Yeah, an XSD schema for the file format would definitely be a good idea.

> >   * Add the prototype Perl implementation to CVS and make it
> >     actually follow the spec.
>
> Yep, sounds good. I want to spend some time this weekend trying to get
> the Java code to write XML files that are somewhat close to the spec.
>
> >   * Consider/plan what extensions are needed for the Java to let
> >     it implement the spec.
>
> Will start looking into that this w/e.

I tried to design the spec in such a way as to make it easy to provide
partial/incremental implementations, while still maintaining the core
capabilities. eg, it should be posible to omit stages, stack traces,
exceptions, row return count, SQL error code and still have the core
data to do some interesting analysis. As part of the spec we should
probably demarcate the 'core' data set, vs the incremental data set.

Dan.
|=-   address@hidden  -  Daniel Berrange  -  address@hidden    -=|