web-hurd

Re: Minor things

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Minor things
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 20:35:13 +0100

On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 08:05:41PM +0100, Moritz Schulte wrote:
> "[...] The Hurd is not the most advanced kernel known to the planet [...]"
>
> => "[...] The Hurd is not the most advanded operating system (basis?)
>   [...]"

Please read the FAQ.  The operating system is called GNU.  The Hurd is not a
kernel in the sense of a monolithical kernel, but it is not an operating
system either.  I think that it is not too bad to say kernel in the abstract
sense here (as opposed to the kernel programm).

If you have a better idea than "kernel", that matches better what the Hurd
is, feel free to make a suggestion.  I don't feel operating system basis is
any better than kernel (btw, the word kernel or kernel component is used in
the Hurd info manual as well, where most of the text you find incorrect about
stems from).  I think that brevity and understandability is more important
than 100% correctness of the details here.

Maybe core is a better word?  Everything I can think of is overloaded in
some way.

> "it's scalable
>   The Hurd implementation is aggressively multithreaded so that it
>   runs efficiently on both single processors and symmetric
>   multiprocessors. [...]"
>
> => "[...] is aggressively multithreaded so that it _could_ run
>   efficiently on both single processors and symmetric multiprocessors,
>   if the microkernel supports that. [...]"

The only problem is that a microkernel is missing that supports SMP.
Do you think that we should flip-flop the wording, depending on what
microkernels are available at the time?

BTW, diff works also very well for text ;)

Thanks,
Marcus

--
`Rhubarb is no Egyptian god.' Debian http://www.debian.org address@hidden