web-hurd

Re: Hurd installation guide

From: Tom Hart
Subject: Re: Hurd installation guide
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 09:59:22 -0500

Felix Schmid wrote:

I was not able to get the Hurd installed on my first try. This is most likely due to the absence of a useful installation guide. The link to Neal Walfield's guide
has been dead for a while.
However, I found the installation guide on the CD image (K3). A little more helpful, but only a little...the link in section 4 (cross install) ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/contrib/marcus/gnu-latest.tar.gz is also dead :(

Cross-install via tarballs is recently deprecated. We just haven't gotten around to updating any of the documentation yet! :-)

If you run Debian GNU/Linux, you can install a GNU/Hurd system via the crosshurd package (apt-get install crosshurd, I think).

If you're not, then the CD images are what you want.

If you want to play around with a GNU/Hurd system without the bother of installation, there is an (old) image of a GNU/Hurd system that you can run with the Bochs emulator available on bochs.sourceforge.net.

Best of luck,

-- Tom Hart