web-hurd

Re: buildpages script for www.gnu.org/software/hurd

From: Ognyan Kulev
Subject: Re: buildpages script for www.gnu.org/software/hurd
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:20:55 +0000

Reinhard Mueller wrote:
* header.html - the header that is included at the very start of every
English page, including the menu and all such stuff.
* header.de.html - the header that is included at the very start of
every German page, including the menu and all such stuff
* header.??.html - the header that is included at the very start of
every page in language ??
> * footer[.??].html - the footer of HTML pages

Personally, I'm more keen on template system, having single template file for each language. It's good such template files to have information about translation of language names too. Templates in XML and processing with DOM in Perl probably will do the work.

* <pagename>[.??].html - the content of the page <pagename> in the given
language, for example whatsnew.de.html or whatsnew.html for English.

AFAIK GNU Web server just shows what is in CVS. So you don't have separate source directory and output directory. That's why in another mail I talked about script that extracts content, title, etc. from generated page and regenerates it using template.

And yes, I really believe you can do *anything* in a shell script :-)

Well, Perl is definately better for text processing stuff :-P Although you do it very well with shell script :-)

I'm not the person who will decide what will go in, so don't think about above things as requirements. I'm not sure if I can show implementation of my vision for this week.

Regards,
ogi