web-hurd

Fw: hurd metafont logo

From: Gürkan Sengün
Subject: Fw: hurd metafont logo
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:25:03 +0100

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:24:22 -0500
From: Stephen McCamant <address@hidden>
To: Gürkan Sengün <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Fw: hurd metafont logo

GS> hello stephen
GS> are you this stephen?

Yup, same one.

http://www.uivt.cas.cz/~arnost/lectures/metafont-for-beginners/metafont-for-beginners.html

GS> basically what i want to achive is have a 3000x1000 png of the
GS> hurd logo. can you tell me what the commands are to achive this?

It might be possible to do this entirely with Metafont, by making a
"mode" with a carefully chosen resolution, and then converting the
output, but it might be a bit tricky. If you do want to try this,
there's a "gf2pbm" utility (part of the mftrace package) you might
want to get.

A better solution, I'd say, would be to use MetaPost to make a
PostScript outline. I actually did this back in 1997, when I made the
bitmaps that are probably the same as the JPEGs on the web page now,
but I never passed the MetaPost or PS files on. They're still a little
rough, but I've put them up at

http://web.mit.edu/~smcc/www/hurd-logo/

Also there is a zsh shell script for converting PS files to
black-on-transparent PNGs using the netpbm tools. It's also a bit
temperamental (in particular needing a newer version of pnmtopng
than exists in RedHat 7.3 or Debian unstable); if you're only doing
this once, you could probably do the image processing part in the GIMP
easily enough.

By the way, if you're going to update my email address (say on the
aforementioned webpage), I'd suggest

address@hidden

as being more future-proof.

Hope this helps,

 -- Stephen

--
Person who say it cannot be done should not interrupt person doing it.
--Chinese Proverb