web-hurd

Re: linking to savannah

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: linking to savannah
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 21:17:27 +0100

At Thu, 11 Mar 2004 20:51:07 +0100,
marco_g wrote:

> Marcus Brinkmann <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > If you say the wiki, do you mean gnu fans?  we already link to that.
> > I don't want to give special purpose emphasis on the wiki (like,
> > "there is this task list", because I am not checking the wiki on a
> > regular basis, so I don't know how useful it is.
>
> Yes, I meant gnu fans.  This is the page I meant:
> http://hurd.gnufans.org/bin/view/Hurd/GNUHurdStatus
>
> But it would be better to have these tasks in the task list on
> savannah as well.  I can do that, if that is ok for you.

They should only be in savannah if and only if they are genuinely task
we are interested in.  Just because something is listed in the wiki
doesn't mean it should be on savannah, too.

I am saying that here because the task list in savannah is for _our_
development.  It makes no sense to populate it with random data from
various places.  So, if there is something in the wiki that you feel
like we (that means you, or the hurd project in general) should work
on, then sure add this to the task manager.  But you should do this on
your own account, not because it is on the wiki.

In particular, if you put up a task item, you are responsible for it.
At least responsible in the way that you defend the necessity of the
task and that you can clarify what it means.  In particular, task
items should lay out the development ahead.  This needs planning and
design.

And don't tell me to look at that page.  I have my own idea of what
the tasks ahead of me are.

To clarify: The task manager is not: * for bug reports.  there is a
bug report for that.  * For outside contributions: There is the patch
manager for that.  * For feature requests.  Again, there is the bug
tracker for that.  It's solely and exclusively for our own purpose.

So, if in doubt, you can use the bug tracker to keep track of bugs,
confusions, feature requests etc you find in random places.

> >> It is also important that the l4-hurd page (the unofficial one) will be
> >> removed
> >> and that we add our own.
> >
> > Bloody hell, we still link to l4hurd!  I had no idea.
>
> Yes, that is why that many people were complaining all the time.  Of
> course it is important to remove this link, but the
> "http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/l4hurd/"; page should be removed as well.

Well, that is a different shoe.  I just saw I am a member of that
savannah project, but that doesn't mean anything.  In particular, I am
not the admin.  You might want to contact the admin.

Thanks,
Marcus