web-hurd

[gnu.org #286401] ``HURD'' is not the proper spelling

From: John Sullivan via RT
Subject: [gnu.org #286401] ``HURD'' is not the proper spelling
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:49:03 -0400

> address@hidden - Sun Apr 30 19:18:18 2006]:
>
> Hi Webmasters!
>
> ----- Forwarded message from James Youngman <address@hidden> -----
> From: James Youngman <address@hidden>
> To: Thomas Schwinge <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Welcome to the GNU Project's Summer of Code effort
>
> On 4/30/06, Thomas Schwinge <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...]
> >Oh, and could you please change ``HURD'' to ``Hurd'' in
> >`who-mentors-for-what.html'?  It's a bit of a mistake that the Hurd logo
> >is written like ``HURD'', if that's where you got it from.
>
> Done - for that page only.
>
> That would also need to be fixed in the <meta> tags on
> http://www.gnu.org/ and probably on other pages too.   I can't change
> those pages.   If you need to get those changed, you should probably
> send email to address@hidden
> ----- End forwarded message -----
>
> Could you please take care of that?  I can refer you to our FAQ:
> <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/faq.en.html#q1-2>.  I have no idea
> how many pages need to be fixed.
>
> As I only have access to the main Hurd pages--as far as I can tell--I'm
> not able to fix this myself.

Are we sure that this is a good idea? Calling the Hurd HURD or GNU HURD
is a common usage -- see rms's explanation of how the project began.

This is now regarded as incorrect I gather -- but since the purpose of
meta info is to help people find pages, it may still be best to leave
the incorrect spelling there, and just add the correct one.

I've added Hurd to the home page meta (I doubt that including "the"
matters to any indexing engine). This will propagate to the translations
over time. But I haven't removed anything.

As for changes within article texts, we don't have the human power right
now to go through and change all of those. If a Hurd developer would
like to do an anonymous checkout of the www project at Savannah and
compile the list of the cases that need to be changed, that would help a
lot. And of course a sed script we could run would be ideal :).

--
John Sullivan, FSF
Program Administrator