web-hurd

Fwd: Shekhar here...

From: chandra shekhar turha
Subject: Fwd: Shekhar here...
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 22:10:14 +0530

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: toby cabot <address@hidden>
Date: Dec 20, 2008 5:53 AM
Subject: Re: Shekhar here...
To: chandra shekhar turha <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden

>     This is Chandra Shekhar from Bangalore, India. I am working as Senior
> Software Engg at EMC Data Storage. My role is Build and Integration Engg, so
> as part of my job I mostly work on GNUmakefile and Perl.
>
> I happen to know about Savannah and from the website I came to know that
> there are projects which require developer.
>
> I would be interested in few of them -
>
> 1.Need Perl developer for enhancing wiki
> software<http://savannah.gnu.org/people/viewjob.php?group_id=30&job_id=511>

As mentioned on the help wanted request, you can send email to
<address@hidden> (a public mailing list) offering to help with this
task.  The GNU hurd maintainers will be able to work with you to
decide if the job is right for you.

> 2.Perl Developer Wanted to write
> plugins<http://savannah.gnu.org/people/viewjob.php?group_id=1457&job_id=218>

This project's Savannah home page is
https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/bobot and it appears that they
can tell, much of the project's communication is in French.

> So, could you please guide me to concerned project manager so that I can get
> more project details - like requirement, source code..
>
> I would like to brief you that I do not have unix/linux setup on my home PC.
> So, please be kind enough to give me work related to WINDOWS only, for time
> being.

I'd recommend that you fix this problem soon.  Installing a GNU/Linux
operating system has become pretty easy to do over the last few years.
GNU has a list of entirely free (as in Freedom) operating systems at
http://www.gnu.org/links/links.html#FreeGNULinuxDistributions .
You'll probably find it easier to contribute to free software projects
if you're using a free software operating system, since most free
programs are developed on free operating systems, with windows a
second thought.

Before you do, though, you might want to invest some time in learning
more about the GNU project, its beliefs and its goals.  You can do
this at the GNU project web page, http://www.gnu.org/.  The GNU
philosophy pages are especially important since GNU is an organization
that's centered around a common set of beliefs about Freedom as it
applies to software.  If you expect that your contribution to GNU will
involve writing code you should also read the GNU Coding Standards at
http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards_toc.html.

Please let us (address@hidden) know if we can be of further help.

Regards,
The GNU Project Volunteer Coordinators

PS.  If you'd like to stay in touch with the GNU project, please
create an account for yourself on http://savannah.gnu.org/ and be sure
to fill out a skills profile.  You may also want to subscribe to the
info-gnu mailing list at
http://mail.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/info-gnu.  It's a low-traffic
list with news and announcements about the GNU project.

PPS.  Have you considered becoming an associate member of the Free
Software Foundation?  It's quick and easy and provides financial
support to the GNU Project.  http://www.fsf.org/associate/