wesnoth-dev

[Wesnoth-dev] new/changed fonts

From: Nils Kneuper
Subject: [Wesnoth-dev] new/changed fonts
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 00:01:12 +0200

Hi!
In the last days there was some talk about fonts in the irc-channel.
ATM it is rather sure that DejaVu can replace Vera and Bepa. It seems
to have all the codepoints. It would be good, to replace both with
that font, because of a fix baseline. ATM the fonts look a bit strange
for eg russian, because of the changing baseline when there are chars
in vera and bepa mixed. Vera is used, because it looks better, bepa is
only used when the chars do not exist in vera. (There are rather many
cases of this.)
There is only one thing we are not sure about: Is it also possible to
replace Freesans with DejaVu. There are some codepoints in Freesans,
that are not in DejaVu. ATM Freesans is used as the first font for
greek. Not sure, if DejaVu would be able to completly replace it.
Maybe Santi is able to clear these things.
At least we should replace Vera and Bepa ASAP.
Another matter are the asian fonts. I think we should ship them as
default. Packed they need about 5MB, which is not too much. Right now
we do have the problem, that the translations do not work, if the
files are not copied by hand. Either there should be a popupbox,
warning about this, or we should ship them as default. I would vote
for the 2nd. This would prevent quite many problems for the users.
I hope we are able to find a solution for this one rather soon, but at
least before 1.0.
Greets,
Nils Kneuper aka Ivanovic