wesnoth-dev

[Wesnoth-dev] Wesnoth.org changes

From: Jordà Polo
Subject: [Wesnoth-dev] Wesnoth.org changes
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:49:47 +0200

I have been working on improving wesnoth.org (and the wesnoth website in
general) lately. These improvements mainly involve a redesign of
wesnoth.org and the migration of the wiki.

The redesign was motivated by the fact that we have now a stable release
in mind: Wesnoth 1.0. Also, it is intended to solve some of the problems
of the current website (for example, the current homepage is not very
flexible), as well as improving its look and feel.

Even though the redesign is not yet finished, it is progressing well. It
will probably be ready for the next release. You can see a screenshot[1]
of the homepage.

  1. http://ettin.org/vault/wesnoth/glamdrol/new-wwo.png

On the other hand, the wiki is ready to be migrated. Actually, the
migration is an important part of the new website. The current
wesnoth.org is rather useless IMHO. Most probably because the project
has grown a lot since it was first created. As Ivanovic pointed out
yesterday:

  20:31 <Ivanovic> the only funktion of the website is to link forum and
  wiki ;)

So, how we plan to fix this? The idea is to "merge" the website and the
wiki, using a wiki engine on wesnoth.org. I'm not sure which will be the
result, but I don't think it is difficult to improve the current
situation.

If no one is against, I'll probably proceed with the migration of the
wiki tomorrow. At first, we will continue using the same website, but it
will have the wiki on wesnoth.org/wiki (running Mediawiki[2]) instead of
wesnoth.slack.it.

  2. http://www.mediawiki.org/

After that, when we consider the new wiki "stable" and "clean" enough
(tiny2media manages the most obvious parts of the migration, but it will
take some time to polish and adapt the pages), we could move the
website.

Btw, you can already see and play with the new wiki[3]. It is not the
final version though, and almost everything will be removed.
I would like to hear your comments and criticisms. Also, if you are
interested in helping, read this page[3] and come tomorrow to IRC ;)

  3. http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/
  4. http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Editing