womeninfreesoftware

Re: [Womeninfreesoftware] Logo idea: GNU in Drag

From: Kirrily Robert
Subject: Re: [Womeninfreesoftware] Logo idea: GNU in Drag
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 11:41:24 -0700

Hi all, Deb(?) just added me to this list, so *waves* and all that.
Looks like this list is just getting off the ground (I looked at the
archives and there's not much there) so I hope I'm not jumping in to
the middle of something inappropriately.

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 9:37 AM, Mary-Anne Wolf <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have been thinking about a logo for this effort.
> If we took the picture of a GNU used by FSF
> http://http.cdnlayer.com/itke/blogs.dir/8/files/2008/02/gnu.png
> added lipstick, eye shadow, and mascara,
> replace the beard by a string of pearls,
> and replaced the horns by a feminine hat,
> with a flower sticking up from the hat,
> I think that would convey the idea.

I ... am not a big fan of this idea.  Most women in free software do
not adhere to traditionally feminine styles of dress/grooming -- I
have seen very few wearing makeup let alone pearls at free software
events -- and I think this sort of appearance would be alienating to
many of us.

I don't want to seem negative, so I guess I should suggest an
alternative.  I googled for logos that use women and I like the sort
of idea in these:

http://www.cdc.gov/Features/WiseWoman/WiseWoman_logo_250px.jpg
http://sistersinbusiness.net/_borders/sib%20woman%20logo.JPG
http://www.swesandiego.org/images/Girl_Scouts-logo.jpg

That is, if a logo is necessary at all at this stage.

K.

--
Kirrily Robert
address@hidden