womeninfreesoftware

Re: [Womeninfreesoftware] Hello, and a Question

From: Lefty (石鏡 )
Subject: Re: [Womeninfreesoftware] Hello, and a Question
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 12:03:04 -0700

On 9/28/09 11:24 AM, "Máirí­n Duffy" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 09/28/2009 02:23 PM, Lefty (石鏡 ) wrote:
>> Maybe we were better off discussing logos...?
>
> Rather than discussing Richard or any single speaker exclusively, maybe
> we should back up a bit and discuss how should we as a group react when
> conference speakers, prominent and otherwise, makes a similar gaffe.

Well, if that is how the group wants to approach things, that's certainly
your collective prerogative. I was scratching my head at the complete lack
of any acknowledgment of what clearly appeared to be some sort of motivation
for this mini-summit, then I was a little aghast when I heard the statements
being made at Software Freedom Day, and now I guess I'm simply bemused.

All right. I guess I've had my say, and there seems to be little interest in
anyone grappling with a concrete issue, at least insofar as it hits this
"close to home". I'm disappointed, but I can't say I'm extremely surprised.

I would ask you to collectively consider a couple of things:

- What is your expectation of the general credibility with which this effort
will be viewed, given that there's no willingness to actually grapple with
an--admittedly inconvenient--actual clear case of identifiable "bad
behavior"?

- What is your expectation of finding allies when they're evidently left to
simply twist in the wind for attempting to _be_ allies? My "sticking my head
up" resulted in several dozen megabytes of abuse, as well as the odd
vituperative phone call to my employer, culminating, evidently, in my public
identification as an "enemy of the free software movement", and a
"troll-like" one, to boot.

Yeah, I _am_ a bit vexed.

> At the time these events happen - what do we do? Afterwards, how do we
> handle those who apologize? How do we handle those who do not? How do we
> handle these things in a productive manner than furthers our cause
> rather than spreads bad feelings?

Do nothing at all; have a "mini-summit", if you must. Since no expectation
of apologies exists, at least if one plays the "Asperger's" card (or maybe
the "President of the FSF" card), there's nothing to handle. You pretend
that those who don't apologize didn't do anything to require an apology in
the first place (thereby reinforcing their beliefs in the matter, in
passing). You spend your time discussing logos, rather than anything that
might make anyone feel bad.

You won't do anything to improve matters, but no one will be made to feel
badly (except me, maybe), and you'll have a nice logo.

> And yeah, we do need to discuss the logo too. :)

Have at it. I'm as big a fan of "Tank Girl" as the next person, maybe more
so: I've seen the movie twice, which shows a certain commitment and
dedication.

=/

I think I'm finished, I'll lurk for a while.