www-el-general

[Elwebtrans] RT #250718

From: Anatoly A. Kazantsev
Subject: [Elwebtrans] RT #250718
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 03:07:53 +0700

Hello!

We (webmasters) recieved next e-mail about one year ago

-------------------------
Subject: Possible correction of "free software" pronounciation in greek
Date:    Thu, 01 Sep 2005 19:08:06 +0300
To:      address@hidden
From:    spyros <address@hidden>

Dear sir of madam,
I've been surfing around http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
pages and ended up in http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/fs-translations.html.

There I read the following line:
"Greek: ελεύθερο λογισμικό (eleuthero logismiko)"

While the greek translation is indeed good, the way it is pronounced in
english is misleading. When I see "eleuthero" I can't help imagining
that all english speakers will pronounce it like "el-ew-tero" (or
"eliutero") which is far away from the true pronounciation.

"Eleuthero" or "eleythero" is the way we write the word "free" in greek
when we use latin characters (the so-called greeklish language). But it
is used solely among greeks, given that we know that the "eu" (or "ey")
in greek is pronounced "ef".

So I would like to propose to change it to "elefthero" which is closer
to the greek pronounciacion. Note that the accent goes to the second "e"
and the "th" is pronounced like in the word "theme".

Thank you in advance.
I appreciate the time you spent reading my email.

Yours trully,
Spyros

Is this mistake fixed?
Please fix it and reply to me or to address@hidden