xbindkeys-devel

[Xbindkeys-devel] Xbindkeys is awesome, but I need help with an issue I'

From: Philippe Brochard
Subject: [Xbindkeys-devel] Xbindkeys is awesome, but I need help with an issue I've noticed
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 21:17:10 +0200

From: Steven DeVries <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 09:54:17 -0500

I followed the excellent guide linked on the FAQ -
http://linux-trackball.dreamhosters.com/

I am trying to do something a little different than the guide though.  I
want my buttons to act as different keyboard keys - specifically, shift,
alt, and ctrl modifier keys.  In my particular case, xmacro is not
available.  Under Arch linux, xmacro neither compiles nor has a package.
Instead, I use xdotool, which does the same thing and seems to work very
well.

I wanted to be able to "hold down" the modifier keys, so I created binds
for press and release of the mouse buttons:
##################################
# Logictech MX1000 configuration #
##################################
# Mouse 8 to Tab
"xdotool key Tab"
 b:8

# Mouse 9 to multiply
"xdotool keydown KP_Multiply"
 b:9
"xdotool keyup KP_Multiply"
 release + KP_Multiply + b:9

# Mouse 10 to shift
"xdotool keydown shift"
 b:10
"xdotool keyup shift"
 release + shift + b:10

# Mouse 11 to alt
"xdotool keydown alt"
 b:11
"xdotool keyup alt"
 release + alt + b:11

# Mouse 12 to ctrl
"xdotool keydown ctrl"
 b:12
"xdotool keyup ctrl"
 release + control + b:12
#################################

This works almost flawlessly, as I when I play World of Warcraft, I can
hold down the mouse buttons and press 1,2,3,4,5, etc. and all my spells
work great!  =)

There is one issue I have not overcome, and it took me a while to figure
out exactly what happened.  Every once in a while, shift (or the other
keys) would get stuck.  I've figured out what causes it now - clicking
other mouse buttons.  If I press and hold any mouse button 8-12, and then
left or right click (maybe other buttons as well), then it never fires the
release of the button I was holding.

Example:
Press and hold b10, left click (press and release), release b10 - shift is
now stuck on.
Press and release the shift key or b10 to "unstick" the shift key.

In hopes of unsticking the shift key I've tried adding:
"xdotool keyup shift"
 release + shift + b:1

This did cause it to release shift, but shift + click is no longer
detected in game.

I'm not really sure what to do here, maybe my configuration is not the
correct way to do this sort of thing.  Maybe I should be using a guile
config?  Or perhaps it is a limitation in xbindkeys, or a bug.  Now that I
know what is happening, I can try to work around it in game, but it would
be nice to have it working like it does in windows.  Any help getting this
working with clicking is very appreciated.