Re: [XBoard-devel] Question: bughouse support

From: Tim Mann
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Question: bughouse support
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:02:49 -0700

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:49:15 -0700, address@hidden wrote:
> Do you have any ideas how I can paste a board position to a second xboard
> window (running as a child process)?

I think there's some weird hack that's part of the cmail support where
you can send xboard a Unix signal and get it to read a game out of a
file with a fixed name.  That's kind of a steaming kludge.  I can't
really think of anything else offhand.

> (or any of the other questions I mentioned in the last email)

I didn't have good answers to any of them.

I think the looking_at patterns you added to recognize bughouse messages
duplicate patterns that are already in zippy.c, so they will break
Zippy's bughouse support.

The whole approach is really a pretty big kludge, and it isn't going to
be easy to make work even as a kludge.  You'd have to whack xboard with
a good sized hammer to get it to open up in ICS mode even though it's
not talking to ICS but over (say) a pipe to the first copy of xboard.
Then you'd have to write code to forward some of the ICS messages from
the first to the second xboard.  Yuck.

--
Tim Mann  address@hidden  http://tim-mann.org/