Re: [XBoard-devel] getting closer to a release: updated Changelog, AUTHO

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] getting closer to a release: updated Changelog, AUTHORS and copyright
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 22:10:44 +0200

At 12:38 12-7-2009 -0700, Arun Persaud wrote:
Hi

I updated the Changelog and AUTHORS file (via git) and also added Alessandro as a copyright holder for all files he edited/created. I think as far as the GNU standards go, we would be ready for a release... since we do find some more bugs I'm wondering though if we should try to get more beta-testers.

ARUN

The best way to get more beta testers is to release. I am quite confident that
WinBoard is good. I have been using it all the time during the development
since 4.3.15 for a variety of purposes, and most of the changes were not very
risky anyway. It was furthermore intensively tested by Mike Adams for
running Pulsar in many variants as a FICS bot, and by the 'JAWS team'.

XBoard I hardly use, and the changes there were more risky, so there could
be surprises there.

What I see as major black marks in the current situation:

1) We don't have an installer for WinBoard yet, and I have no idea if any
progress is being made at all in that area.

2) The Desktop-Effects problem makes that XBoard will almost universally
not work when people try it.

3) The jaws.rc is not yet merged with winboard.rc. This also means the
standard version does not support all the accelerator keys yet.

Now as far as I am concerned the JAWS release does not have to be an
integral part of the normal release; it is set up in such a way that it can be
patched on top of a normal release. The accelerator keys we should put in
though, I think.

Since there seems no possibility to remedy (2) we better ignore it.