Re: [XBoard-devel] Desktop Effects (Compiz)

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Desktop Effects (Compiz)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 11:49:15 +0200

One observation with respect to this bug that I wanted to share:

I got  complaint from someone that on the previous version the ICS Input box
did not work. I tried it out with the XBoard I still had installed on my system
(which was not the new compile), and indeed, the ICS Input box behaved in
the same pathological way as all the dialogs that I had been making first:
The text edit could not get focus, and typing into it was only possible when
the mouse cursor was over it. What was also strange and annoying was that
popup dialogs like the filename popup you get on Load Game did not popup
with focus on them; they first had to be clicked before you could start typing.
(They did automatically transfer focus from the enveloping window to the tex

But then I tried the libXt-less compile, and it suffers from non of these ailments.
The filename popup does pop up fully focused, and the ICS Input window is
able to hold focus. It seems like a lot of the problems I was battling when
implementing all the new menus and auxiliary windows were in fact due to
the erroneous linking method. I guess that the callback for focusing the
text fields has now become completely superfluous, although I have not tested
that.

All this was observed without Compiz running. So we cannot solely blame
Compiz for the sick behavior we had. There really is something fundamentally
wrong in the binary when libXt is linked before libXaw.