Re: [XBoard-devel] links [installer]

From: h . g . muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] links [installer]
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 08:42:10 +0200 (MEST)

> My take on it it is basically: <path>\winboard.exe @<inifile>

Yes, this is the target line of most shortcuts. I tried to avoid putting
actual command-line options in the shortcuts, and put them all in
indirection files.

Only one of them (the one with the marble board and alternate pieces, I
forgot the name) refers two indirection files: winboard @marble
@chessmark.

> What exactly does this mean?  Specifically, is there an alternate method
> that will work?  It is my understanding from HG that this works on XP, but
> not Vista, so is there another way we can invoke an ini file, such as
> -ini?

There currently is no other way to invoke an ini file. We could add
another one, but for backward compatibility we should continue to support
this one.

Note that the shortcuts do work, in both Vista and XP. It just doesn't
display the indirection file arugument when you open in with "properties".
What does not work in Vista (so I heard) is the automatic adaption of the
target path when you first click a shortcut. This is not related in any
way to the @file arguments.

> Even in XP it doesn't display the @<inifile> portion after creation.  So
> if we don't currently have a cmdline option other than '@', we might
> consider adding one in order to accomodate link creation on all OS.

As we discussed before, shortcuts might not be the preferred way to
operate WinBoard anyway. Would this problem still exist if we provide menu
items for all the functions in stead of shortcuts?