Re: [XBoard-devel] release 4.4.1

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] release 4.4.1
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 10:16:52 +0200

I'm sorry, I forgot to respond to this earlier. I tested premove and had success doing premoves onto my own pieces anticipating captures.

Note that testing the patch is not limited to see if premove captures work now.
It was a risky patch that could potentially break a lot of things that were working before, both in XBoard and WinBoard. Testing is difficult because there is a large multitude of
options and mode combinations that each could have its own problems:
XBoard or WinBoard
click-click or drag-drop move
edit-position mode or not
legal move or not
-testLegality on or off
promotion or not
-variant super (which has no promotion popup, but lets you select a piece from the holdings)
-highlightLastMove on or off
-highlightDragging on or off
This makes for hundreds of combinations, that each allow many different actions. (clicking an own piece when one is already selected, clicking the same piece as is already selected, grabbing the piece that is already selected and trying to drag it, dagging a piece around and putting it back on its original square, dragging from the holdings, dragging to the holdings...)