Re: [XBoard-devel] git issues

From: Tim Mann
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] git issues
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 11:03:15 -0800

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 23:27:15 +0100, "h.g. muller" <address@hidden> wrote:
> Interrogating the window position of the Main
> window, and then using those same coordinates to set the position of that
> window do NOT make it pop up in the same place!

That sounds familiar.  You are probably getting the coordinates of the
upper left corner of the window itself, without the title bar and
resizing border (called "decorations" in X) that are added by the
window manager.

Then when you set the window position later, it's initially setting the
upper left corner of the window itself, but very quickly after that the
WM adds the decorations and moves the window to keep the upper left
corner at the same position.

IIRC, I had that problem at one point and had some kludge solution for
it that required hardwiring the width of the decorations, which is a
bad idea because they depend on what WM you're using and how it's
configured ("theme" or whatever).  I think there is a better solution,
but I don't remember it now.  Hmm, it probably requires you to find the
parent window of the one you're currently querying (which will be the
one that contains the decorations) and query that one instead.

--
Tim Mann  address@hidden  http://tim-mann.org/