Re: [XBoard-devel] Re: patches

From: Michel Van den Bergh
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Re: patches
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 12:50:37 +0100

This is a well-known FSF policy. The rationale is that if the FSF hosts a project it wants to be able
to defend it in court against GPL violations. It cannot do that
if it doesn't hold the copyright.

I clicked "send" too quickly. I still wanted to say that I am just explaining FSF policy. I don't
have an opinion if it suitable for xboard to be an FSF project or not.

On the technical side I wonder if there is smoother migration path Xt-->gtk.
I.e. slowly replacing Xt widgets by gtk widgets (the file selector would be an obvious candidate). xboard will look ugly for a while but at least it would not be an all or nothing thing.

I guess first the Xt main loop would have to be replaced by the gtk mainloop. The question then is if it is possible to integrate Xt widgets in the gtk main loop. I don't know enough about the inner workings of either toolkit to see if this is feasible. Perhaps this might help.

http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php/gtk-Xt

Michel