Re: [XBoard-devel] gtk and x11 in parallel

From: K12
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] gtk and x11 in parallel
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 17:00:35 +0100 (BST)

I tried the new parallel version and I noticed that xboard was using 88% cpu.

I also tried compiling the xboard gtk-20100806 version on Ubuntu 8.04 which was
referred to in the previous post. The problem is that 8.04 is quite an old
version of ubuntu. It uses automake 1.10 (1.11 required) and gtk+ 2.12.9
(2.16.0 required). The code contains references to gtk_widget_get_visible and
GtkEntryBuffer which aren't available in 2.12.

I managed to compile it though by:
    commenting out #AM_SILENT_RULES([yes]) in configure.ac
    changing gtk+ 2.16.0 dependency in configure.ac to 2.12.0
    comment out the code in xedittags.c GTK_create_tag routine and return False
    comment out the code in xgamelist.c GameListIsUp routine and return False
    comment out the code in xhistory.c MoveHistoryIsUp routine and return False

To make it run I had to change gtk-interface.xml and comment out the requires
2.16. It then ran on Ubuntu 8.04 but some functions won't work due to the above
changes (no menubar, no engine or move windows). I did play a few moves against
fairymax though. It's probably easier to move to a newer Ubuntu than backport
xboardgtk.

John Cheetham