Re: [XBoard-devel] gtk-branch

From: Michel Van den Bergh
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] gtk-branch
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 10:07:47 +0200

On 10/14/2011 09:34 AM, Adrian Petrescu wrote:
You can run native code on Android through the NDK. I'm pretty sure that's how projects like Stockfish managed it.

Yes. Android has its own dialect of the Java Native Interface. One would have to make the backend into a library.

Another even more general solution is to run the backend in a seperate process. This would be more cross platform.

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 3:30 AM, h.g. muller <address@hidden> wrote:
At 14:02 13-10-2011 -0700, Arun Persaud wrote:
On 10/12/2011 03:35 PM, h.g. muller wrote:
> [...]
> Well, speaking of front ends, how about an Android front end?

think that's more than just a front end... doesn't android run it's app
in a virtual Java machine? And the UI is also all Java as far as I know...

Well, I know nothing about Android. But there is someone working
on an Android application for Xiangqi, who is using my engine
HaQiKi D, which is written in C. And I see announcements of
top engines like Stockfish being released for Android. It is hard
to believe that they would rewrite a 50,000+ line code base in Java
just for the purpose.