Re: [XBoard-devel] forgot to mention

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] forgot to mention
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 13:01:41 +0100

I added a bit of text to the "about" window in XBoard, to advertise our
home page and the "what's new" section a bit more. Feel free to improve
it ;)

OK, it is good to have those links in the about box.

What is not so good is that thy not only don't work there as links, but that
the user cannot even select or copy them for pasting in his browser.
I can imagine that people think this is extremely annoying, to the point of
angering them, curse the programmers and use voodoo techniques on them.

The problem is that the about-box is a version of the ErrorPopUp, which is
a simple label widget, apparently immune to selection (or any mouse action).
Perhaps we should consider redoing the about box through the GenericPopUp
in stead, and make it a text-edit. I could add a READ_ONLY flag as a tiny
extra for text-edits to the GenericPopUp (it already handles such flags to
specify text wrapping, scroll bars etc.), so that we could define it as a
text-edit, from which presumable people could still copy.

Of course when we use the generic popup, we can just as easily add buttons
to the about box that do something. If we could figure out how to start the
preferred internet browser, we would only have to provide a call-back
to the buttons that issues that command.

Somehow I don't feel much enthousiasm for doing any of this now
(i.e. before the 4.6.0 release), as it would slow us down again just now that
we are ready in all other respects. I did try out the developer tar ball on
both Ubuntu and Windows, and it compiles clean and seems to run well.
So I would prefer just to tag it 4.6.0, and only then worry about improving
the about box.