Re: [XBoard-devel] file associations / positional arguments

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] file associations / positional arguments
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 20:02:53 -0700

Hi

> [automatically figure out what file we are opening]

I think this is a good idea, not sure if going just by file endings is
good enough, although I think it is pretty standardized. We should still
have a command line option to override the guessed file type.

> [new ideas]

I'm not sure if I understood everything, but to me it seems as if the
command line options need a good cleanup and that we now have lots of
complicated options. As for --vieweroptions that acts like a section in
an ini file, perhaps this is a good indication that we should rethink
our ini-file structure. Perhaps we should adapt the Windows ini-style
syntax, which AFAIK is also used in gnome for example and probably other
places, and use it also for XBoard/Winboard. This would have the
advantage that it _would_ have sections, also I would believe that many
people are very familiar with it and don't have to learn a special
XBoard ini-style... Furthermore I believe there are good libraries that
can be used to read and write ini-files or just get a key out of an
ini-file, so that we don't have to write our own code.

I also find the @syntax very strange, is that a windows standard? I much
rather have a -f --ini-file or something like that which can be called
several times if needed. Perhaps also something that could be unified.

cheers
        ARUN