Re: [XBoard-devel] some configure.ac questions/ possible gettext solutio

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] some configure.ac questions/ possible gettext solution
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 09:19:58 -0700

Hi

> It seems to me we are already doing (2), by having a directory m4 with
> standard macros in git. And that this is contributing to the problem.

at the moment we have a mix of two, we have some files in git _and_ the
AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION macro in configure.ac and that's were the
problems come from AFAIK.

>"[...]When the maintainer then runs
> gettextize from, say, version 0.12.1 on the package, the occurrence of
> AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION(0.11.5) will be changed into
> AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION(0.12.1), and all other developers that use the CVS
> will henceforth need to have GNU gettext 0.12.1 or newer installed."
>
> This clearly states that there should be no problem at all to specify
> version 0.17 or earlier in the configure.ac. Like with any configuring, it
> is supposed to represent the minimum requirement, and it should be set to
> as low a version as is capable to support what our C source needs, so that
> as many people as possible can build. As there seem to be no people around
> that still uses gettext 0.16, though, requiring 0.17 seems acceptable.

the problem is that once you run autopoint with a higher version, it
will update configure.ac automatically to the installed version
according the quoted paragraph above. Which might make it back into git
by chance (e.g. using a git commit -a) and this will then break things
again. If we remove the version requirement, autopoint won't run
automatically anymore as far as I understand and we would need to run
gettextize manually, which seems saver to me.

Arun