[XBoard-devel] Copyright matter

From: H.G. Muller
Subject: [XBoard-devel] Copyright matter
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 23:24:59 +0200

I have a question for the GNU legal department:

If we would let XBoard display a logo bitmap that contains text in a font that we do not own, but are licensed to use... Would that be allowed:

What if it was not a logo, but the piece images? Shogi and Xiangqi pieces have text inscribed on them as kanji. The kanji originally came from a font, which might not be public domain.

The practical problem is this: Joshua has made SVG Shogi pieces that look better than those we distribute now, and is willing to let us distribute them with XBoard. The pieces were made by tracing raster images of a font that was posted somewhere for free use.

Can we do that?