Re: [XBoard-devel] Next XBoard release

From: H.G. Muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Next XBoard release
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 09:42:11 +0100

Op 1/11/2016 om 7:53 PM schreef Arun Persaud:
Hi

unfortunately, I don't have much time to work on XBoard anymore, but I'm
happy to do a release whenever you guys think we are ready for it.

The current status is this:

It seems the work on extending the number of piece types (providing SVG images and Windows bitmaps) is complete now, and the notation system for using more than 26 pieces (by allowing letter IDs to be 'decorated' with a single quote or exclamation point) also works. Engine-defined castling now also works when the King is not on the back rank, or the
castling partner is not a Rook and not at the board edge.
Blacked-out squares, for handling irregular board shapes, are handled better.

The command-line option for writing arbitrary UTF8 characters on top of pieces works, and a new fall-back mechanism for piece images, which tries to load a 'White/BlackTile.svg' image for every missing piece SVG, makes it possible to generate Shogi pieces 'on the fly' by just providing the image of an empty tile, and a string of kanji as command-line option.

Remaining problems are:

XBoard emits spurious undo commands when playing in zippy mode on an ICS when one game starts immediately after another, trying to undo a move that it shoud have known
(by a yet unanswered 'ping') to belong in the previous game.

There is a problem with switching to the correct variant in ICS play; in particular it won't
switch to a Xiangqi board when you start a Xiangqi game on the ICS.

We must decide what we want to do with the gtk3/accessible branch. Do we want to
incorporate any of it in a 4.9 release.

As far as 4.8.x or 4.9, I'm happy to do either... just let me know when
you have all the commits in savannah (or somewhere else).

Arun