Re: [XBoard-devel] winboard improvement idea

From: h . g . muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] winboard improvement idea
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 18:58:25 +0100

I am not saying that this idea is entirely without merit, but I don't see
why we should use the Move History window for that. You can already
copy-paste moves into WinBoard, by using Ctrl-V or Edit -> Paste Game on
the main window. The difference is that in that case it first resets the
game to the start position. Sequences of moves often don't have move
numbers in them, so that WinBoard doesn't want to rely on those, and in
general ignores move numbers.

But next to Paste Game there could be a menu item 'Append Moves' in the
Edit menu, which acts like you typed the moves.

Note that it is already possible to do something like this through a
kludge. But not with the Move History window, but through the Edit Comment
window. If you paste the moves there, and surround them by parentheses to
make them look like a PGN recursive variation, you can right-click that
variation to promote it to main line.

My main doubt is this, though: if you could copy move 5 to N somewhere, it
seems likely that you could have just as easily picked up move 1 to N, and
paste those with the existing Paste Game functionality. Copy-Pasting only
the tail of a game is rather error prone, as you must take care that the
game is exactly position to the point where the copied moves start. And be
confident that the missing moves are indeed the same as those currently
loaded in WinBoard.