Re: [XBoard-devel] Fwd: 4.9.0 what's new

From: H.G. Muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Fwd: 4.9.0 what's new
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2016 22:17:28 +0200

Op 4/3/2016 om 9:07 PM schreef Joshua Pettus:
TBH,  I’m starting to question whether or not that actually is desirable (Even
though it’s the way winboard works) People want the clock to be big enough to
read and see who’s turn is at a glance.  Any bigger, and it’s just taking up
space that really would be better used by the chess board, and any smaller it
is illegible.  After using a fixed size clock for a while, I’m starting to
prefer it. I feel the board can be whatever size, but the clock is fine fixed.
That makes sense, but unfortunately the clock size couples to the logo size. The GTK version divides the width in 4 equal parts, the two outer for the logos. But the logos are in an aspect-ratio frame, coupling their width to their height, but setting no minimum for those. So the height will be determined by the clock font. Having a small font will make very small logos, which I personally think is quite ugly. So because I want big logos I also need a big clock font. It is also not clear to me why you would need large pieces if you can read small letters. But I think the decisive issue is that people that want the same fnt size always can configure that anyway if there is automatic font sizing.
All this seems related to Adrian’s  i3wm problem.   Maybe there is a way to
make the board drawing more robust and kill two birds with one stone?
The i3wm problem looks like a missing expose event. Changing the size of a widget should cause such an expose event. But I suspect that the tiling manager does the sizing too early, so that at the point where XBoard relies on getting an expose event after changing the window size, it in fact gets nothing, because the window size stays the same, namely the size forced by i3wm.

I remember that Arun had problems too when using a tiling WM. And that a new option -fixedSize that I added would mostly solve that. (It would pack clocks and board into an extra container widget with a fixed aspect ratio.)

Josh