Re: [XForms] UTF-8 support development release

From: hohe72
Subject: Re: [XForms] UTF-8 support development release
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 17:21:12 +0200

Jens Thoms Toerring <address@hidden> wrote (Wed, 2 Jul 2014 20:22:48
+0200):
> Hi,
>
>    I've just uploaded a new version of
>
> http://download-mirror.savannah.gnu.org/releases/xforms/development/1.3/xforms-1.3.13.tar.gz
>
> This new version of the UTF-8 development version now seems
> to work also with "input methods", i.e. some kind of server
> that allows you to input text in all kinds of writing systems.
> Using the 'ibus' IM framework and the 'm17n' engine I was
> able to enter text in Russian, Greek, Hebrew, Japanese etc.
> (though the default fonts don't have glyphs for Hiragana or
> Katakana and, of course, also no Kanji), all in the same
> input field;-)
>
> If you want to give it try dwnload at least the 'ibus' and
> the 'ibus-m17n' packages, start the ibus-daemon using e.g.
> the ibus-setup program (you'll need to pick which engines
> are to be used in there). Then set
>
> export address@hidden
>
> and run a program (with input objects) that uses the XForms
> library.
>                        Best regards, Jens

UTF8

-flversion:
FORMS Library Version 1.3.13
(Compiled Jul  5 2014)
Copyright (c) 1996-2002 by T.C. Zhao and Mark Overmars
Parts Copyright(c) 1999-2002 by T.C. Zhao and Steve Lamont
GNU Lesser General Public License since 2002

Hi,
I set the Multi_key facility at .xmodmaprc:

keysym Super_L = Multi_key

to input special chars like ä/ö/.. into GUI elements of libraries as
gtk and qt for instance.

Copy/Past, display and save of utf-8 encoded texts works well, as far
as I tested the xforms fl_add_input() widget, but I had problems to use
the Multi_key facility. It's ignored. It just prints "a.

<later that day>
Got ibus system running. Works fine.

Regards, utf-8 support is really significant.
Holger