Re: [XForms] Segfault after fl_finish and fix

From: Steven G. Messervey
Subject: Re: [XForms] Segfault after fl_finish and fix
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2016 11:16:26 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: xforms-development
[mailto:address@hidden On Behalf
Of Jens Thoms Toerring
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2016 3:26 AM
To: Development with and of XForms <address@hidden>

Hi Steve,

On Mon, Oct 03, 2016 at 09:12:18PM -0400, Steven G. Messervey wrote:
>   From my understanding, if you call fl_finish in a callback,
> fl_do_forms should return.
> Instead, tt segfaults.

I guess it never was intended to be callled from a callback that returns but
only just before exiting the application (e.g. from an atexit() handler.

Since fl_finish() destroys everything related to XForms (deleting all
objects and forms and freeing memory for
them) calling it from a callback sounds a bit like cut- ting off the branch
you're sitting on since your within an XForms callback whose proper working
depends on
XForms;-) But since you can do it I agree that at least an attempt should be
made to handle that as far as pos- sible.

> Debian Wheezy 64-bit on x86_64.
>
>   Simple program to demonstrate the issue:
> #include <forms.h>
>
> void callback(FL_OBJECT *obj, long data) {
>   fl_finish();
> }
>
> int main(int argc, char **argv) {
>   FL_FORM *form;
>   FL_OBJECT *btn;
>
>   fl_initialize(&argc, argv, "TEST", 0, 0);
>   form = fl_bgn_form(FL_UP_BOX,320,120);
>   btn = fl_add_button(FL_NORMAL_BUTTON,40,70,80,30,"Click me");
>   fl_set_object_callback(btn,callback,0);
>   fl_end_form();
>
>   fl_show_form(form, FL_PLACE_MOUSE, FL_TRANSIENT, "FOO");
>   fl_do_forms();
>
>   return 0;
> }

Indeed, that segfaults.

>   My proposed fix:
> In lib/events.c - fli_object_qread():
> replace all occurrences of fli_context = <some value>; with:
> if (fli_context)
>   fli_context = <some_value>.
>
> After applying the fix and recompiling, the above program works.

I've got to think about this since it's at a rather low level point and I
don't see all possible consequences at the moment.
We've got to make sure that not e.g. a now free'd object (but for which
there's still a pointer) gets accessed. At a quick glance we've got to bail
out immediately when after a call of an objects callback it's obvious that
fl_finish() has been invked in there. What that involves is still a bit
unclear to me, though. I guess I will need some time to consider all the
possible consequences.

> I discovered it while making XForms bindings to javascript (Duktape).

Sounds like an interesting project!

                           Best regards, Jens

Hello Jens,
  Yes, I see what you are saying.
I got hung up on a line from the manual:
"The most important function for doing the actual interaction with forms is

FL_OBJECT *fl_do_forms(void);

It starts the main loop of the program and returns only when either the
state of an object changes that has no callback bound to it or fl_finish()
is called in a callback. In the first case the address of the object is
returned, in the latter NULL."

(xforms_38.html#Part-V-Overview-of-Main-Functions,  a little after the
discussion of fl_hide_form).

This behavior works for me, because the interpreter stops interpreting once
fl_do_forms is called;
I need it to return so the interpreter can process an exit call and do other
cleanup (close shared libraries, close files, etc.).

Thanks,
  Steve M.