xlog-discussion

Re: [Xlog-discussion] Some things about Xlog

From: Joop Stakenborg
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Some things about Xlog
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 19:25:05 +0200

On Tuesday 14 May 2002 18:12, Stephane Fillod wrote:

> Hey! I got the same idea (but I'm short on time too).

Hey Stephane! Long time no seen!

> What about a CW keyer deamon? cwkeyerd would listen on a TCP port,
> and get chars from the socket. From a shell, the following
> would do the trick:
>
>    echo "CQ CQ CQ DE F8CFE F8CFE K K" | nc localhost 7373
>
> There would be also an escape sequence to remotely change the speed and
> weights. We can imagine some command line options or a config file to
> select the output among the serial port, parallel port, sound card, Hamlib
> supported rig (e.g. TS2000, some Icom's), etc.
>
> To make things a lot simpler and portable, the daemon will be implemented
> totally in user mode. unixcw with its cwlib looks like a good starting
> point.
>
> What do you think?

What can I say? Fabulous. Latest unixcw (2.2 coming in a few days) already has
sound card support. Using a daemon sounds like a better solution than the tlf
scheme which uses a keyer as a kernel module, which has to be recompiled for
every new kernel you install.
Do you know the scheme twcw uses? It is a daemon called SendCW, which is
controlled with IPC messages. But it needs a second program for control.

With cwkeyerd, you will be much more flexible. The example you give says it
all. I will add it to the ever growing TODO list for xlog, so we can write it
some day if time permits.

> 73s
> Stephane - F8CFE

Bon Soir,