xlog-discussion

Re: [Xlog-discussion] Import from Logger32.adi

From: JACrux
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Import from Logger32.adi
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 15:09:56 +0100

Thanks for that Arne

I think your message did not go to the Xlog group so I include it below.
Why does anyone need to log time in seconds  ??? .... I have never used
seconds because my watch and my pc clock are never that accurate; I need to
check against the atomic standard time from MSF. Then I reset the pc time.
(My shack pc runs 24/7.)

Maybe my previous analysis was not very clear. I checked again and
Logger32 always outputs six digits for the TIME part of the ADIF file. I can
see that when I look at the exported file structure. I do not know how to
change that because Logger32 does not have any built-in option to change the
exported format from six digits to four. If it did, there would be no
problem.
(Also if Xlog could be asked to ignore the last two time digits, there would
be no problem, but I think it is better to be able to make the choice in the
ADIF log source programme.)

Logger32 can be setup to display TIME as 2359, or 23:59. But you can also
choose to display a six digit time, including seconds. 23:59:15 would be
acceptable, or 2359:15, or 235915. But if you do decide to display only a
four digit time like 2359, Logger32 still adds 00 seconds to every four digit
HHMM time when it exports the log in ADIF format. 2359 is always exported as
235900. (That does not look good to me in a logbook; 23:59:00 would be easier
to understand.)

Xlog sees the added 00 seconds and displays them as part of a six digit time
display, with no punctuation, as 235900.
The only easy answer is to edit the Logger32 ADIF file,  by substituting
<TIME_ON:4> for <TIME_ON:6>  for every TIME entry in the entire log.  Then
Xlog sees the time format is only 4 digits long and it ignores the last two
digits in the Logger32 ADIF TIME data.  It works for me anyway.

The all-black callsign column is much less easy to work around.
The really good news is that Xlog works so well and that it is only a weird
UTF8 language problem that makes things difficult on my dual boot Win2k/SuSE
9.3 machine.
73 John G3JAG