xlog-discussion

Re: [Xlog-discussion] Log editor "free field" labels, awards and contest

From: Joop Stakenborg
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Log editor "free field" labels, awards and contests
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 21:11:11 +0200

Op dinsdag 01-05-2007 om 17:32 uur [tijdzone -0600], schreef Jacob
Anawalt:

[...]

> I saw in the changelog a note about QSL_VIA. That sounded like a good
> field, so in my new simplex log I edited the columns to be QSLSDATE and
> QSL_VIA. When I went back to my repeater log (tab) later, I saw that
> it's free field names had changed as well.
>
> Each log seems to remember what columns are shown. Do they not remember
> what their field labels are, or am I doing something wrong?

Hello Jacob,

The free fields are fixed. That is, the name will stay the same
throughout all of your logs, unless you fiddle around with the xlog
preferences file ($HOME/.xlog/preferences.xml). e.g. you could overwrite
this file with a custom file before starting xlog and use this to have
different free fields for different logs... :)

In some distant future I will switch to the XDIF format for the logs.
Then we will have much more freedom, program settings will be saved
together with the logs and you can use different freefield names in
different logs.

> I was planning on using a different log for different activity so that I
> could use the free fields differently. For example, SRX and STX or their
> _STRING variants for contests and PROP_MODE and SAT_NAME to log
> potential satellite work for awards.

xlog supports STX, RTX, SRX_STRING and STX_STRING out of the box. if
your RST field contains 599060, ADIF export will have "<RST_SENT:3>599
<STX:3>060". If the exchange field does not contain numbers, STX_STRING
will be used.

The only valid freefield name for ADIF export is indeed QSL_VIA, but I
could add more checks for ADIF compatible freefield names....

> I wonder how other xlog users do these things. Special mode operation is
> more of a distant prospect at the moment. I am more interested in
> knowing how people run contests and get the right logs together.
>
> I've searched the archives and found one note that tlf may be the way to
> go for HF contests, but there seemed to be more threads saying that xlog
> was working out for people. I also learned about adding the serial
> number to the end of the RST. I'd sure love to read through a document
> that lays out this common knowledge.

I hope this short reply will help you out... If you need to have
anything added to xlog then let me know. I will be happy to program it.

> Sorry for the long post on a few related topics.

Regards,
Joop PG4I