xlog-discussion

Re: [Xlog-discussion] Lotw and xlog

From: Pierfrancesco Caci
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Lotw and xlog
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 08:42:11 +0200

    >> On Sat, 2011-05-28 at 18:11 -0400, w1pns wrote:
    >>

    >> One additional suggestion following Pierfrancesco's helpful points. Set
    >> up a new director for your logs, one that isn't hidden. Xlog puts your
    >> logs into that .xlog folder by default. But you can specify that logs be
    >> stored in a different folder. This would save you a bit of extra typing
    >> as you select the *.adi file for TSQL to process.
    >>
    >> With best regards,

I have some objections at renaming the default directory of xlog (or any
other program, for that matter) to somehting that is not .xlog:
first of all, you will have a non-default setup which will be different
than what documentation says or other people think when trying to help
you; second, and possibly more importantly, files and directories that
start with a . are not shown in basic list commands so that they don't
get included in delete operations by accident. The extra effort of
having you type the initial dot is there to help prevent disasters.

--
Pierfrancesco Caci, ik5pvx