xlog-discussion

Re: [Xlog-discussion] Ubuntu 11.10 problem

From: John B. Egger
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Ubuntu 11.10 problem
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 10:37:52 -0500

On 01/28/2012 06:48 AM, richard wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 06:10:53 -0500
> "John B. Egger" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On 01/28/2012 05:44 AM, John wrote:
>>> Has anyone solved the display problem with Xlog 2.0.5 in Kubuntu
>>> Oneiric? Here's what mine looks like:
> Are you running Gnome-shell on gdm3,
> if so switch to fallback/classical mode before you login.
> If that clears it I bet you are using an ATI radeon graphics card.
>
> If not I'll shut up.

Richard, I don't know what that means. When I installed Oneiric I
disabled all of the plasma effects and tried (pretty successfully) to
make the Desktop appear and behave as much like KDE 3.5 as I could.

This is an old (ca. 2003) machine, with a Nvidia graphics card. I looked
at the Menu's Settings tab and was offered three items, one for Nvidia
graphics settings that is not present on this Maverick installation, but
didn't see anything in there that obviously should be changed.

But I HAVE discovered another application with this same graphics
splotching problem: Thunderbird, Edit/Preferences/Attachment/Use Other
is supposed to bring up a directory from which one chooses a file, but
in my Oneiric it has the same jumping black splotches as the Xlog 2.0.5
log page. (That T-bird feature works fine here in Maverick.)

I'll try the Kubuntu Oneiric forum again. No response before. Guess
nobody who participates there uses Xlog, but I bet nearly all of them
use T-bird.

--
---John K3GHH
Registered Linux User #291592