xouvert-general

[xougen] Re: [Xouvert-general] Server Side Widgets

From: Per Cederberg
Subject: [xougen] Re: [Xouvert-general] Server Side Widgets
Date: 25 Aug 2003 09:37:04 +0200

On Sat, 2003-08-23 at 14:12, >> G-LiTe / wrote:
> address@hidden wrote:
>
> >well, dont hang up on the mouse example. what i want is to put the
> >whole widget handling stuff (at least for the basic widgets) into
> >the server, so it saves much bandwidth. even for local clients it
> >will save quite much, since they still have to talk to the server
> >to write evry little piece of the widgets. an window manager on
> >server side would also be nice.
> >

> No offense, but did you think about what exactly has to be done to get
> there?
> It'd involve a major rewrite of gtk/qt libraries that may not even make
> them backwards compatible with older X servers (or you're just going to
> increase their code size).

Seems the xwin.org Wiki is down at the moment.
Anyway, there they have links to a couple of
projects working along these lines:

Fresco - http://www.fresco.org/

PicoGUI - http://www.picogui.org/

They either have or are working on some X11
compability layer. Remaining seems to be support
from the major toolkits (and whatnot).

> If you want something like this, my advice is to help make X more
> modular and then allow the toolkits to write it themselves as I
> mentioned before.

Or join one of the projects mentioned above.
Xfree86 has almost all the users, but they
have the "right way" (or so some people say)
to do things.

Rewrite or refactor? *That* is the question...

Cheers,

/Per

--
Per Cederberg, Software Consultant