xouvert-general

Re: [xougen] Re: xouvert-general Digest, Vol 1, Issue 13

From: weigelt
Subject: Re: [xougen] Re: xouvert-general Digest, Vol 1, Issue 13
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 21:37:11 +0200

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 10:50:18PM +0200, >> G-LiTe / wrote:

<snip>
> The thing is, X11 is a networking protocol, meaning ofcourse there's a
> server and a client. The clients mostly use Xlib, the library
> applications use to talk to the X server. Every sane programmer doesn't
> use X11 and sockets directly to contact the x server because it's way
> too complicated.

Well, think in multiple interfaces.

The xf86 client library package provides an libx interface. It also enables
the applications linked against it to speak the (client side of the) X11
protocol (as well over unix socket, as over tcp). On the other hand the
xf86 Xserver is an display server, which speaks the (server side of the)
X11 protocol.

Our brand new xouvert display server should of course speak X11, but
also may speak some completely new protocol or perhaps RDP or Citrix.
On the other hand the xouvert client library (which is different from xlib!)
enables the application to speak the new protocols as well as X11
(do autonegiotation where we can). But xouvert also brings an libx which
goes over libxouvert-client.

<snip>
> Fundamental changes in the X server or Xlib shouldn't be a problem at all,
> as long as the programs linked against Xlib won't die instantly because
> of "unresolved symbols". ;)
The whole source- and binary interface _must_ be compatible. xouvert's
libx should also _not_ contain any xouvert extension (on client side),
so you can be sure that an libx application is 100% X11/xf86 compatible.

<snip>
> The only compatibility we have to worry about is stuff like DRI, XRender
> and all those other extensions, and that's just on the networking part:
> if clients can find the functions they need, it's all okay. If we change
> those functions, the client doesn't care at all as long as the name and
> parameters are the same.

How are they handled in xf86 ? Are there standard client libaries or
it this done by the X client itself ? In the first case, the same applies
as to libx: they will be replaced by xouvert's adapter libs, which are
100% interface compatible to the X11 libs, - i.e. xouvert's libxdri
would be an adapter to libxouvert-dri. In the second case we have to
implement the DRI protocol extension on xouvert's X11 speaker module
and let the DRI application go over X11/DRI.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux ITS
 Webhosting ab 5 EUR/Monat.          UUCP, rawIP und vieles mehr.

 fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     address@hidden
 cellphone: +49 174 7066481
 Diese Mail wurde mit UUCP versandt.      http://www.metux.de/uucp/