xouvert-general

Re: [xougen] merging

From: Elver Loho
Subject: Re: [xougen] merging
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 04:28:24 +0200

: On linux, the kernel takes care of this for me; however, I use a mouse.
: I tell X to use /dev/input/mice which selects the first mouse, no matter
: what it's device number is. It might be advantageous to have a similiar
: thing for other device types, or to be able to use a tablet as a mouse
: inside the kernel input system.

From my own experience, /dev/input/mice is a *collection* of all mouse-like
events. Including the tablet and any other mice one might have. I used to
have very annoying problems getting Gimp to detect that I've switched between
my USB mouse and my tablet. I then changed the mouse device in XF86Config
to /dev/input/mouse0 and I haven't had any such problems ever since. Both
Gimp 1.2 and 1.3 have since then been able to accurately detect whenever I
switch between the stylus, eraser, tablet mouse and the main usb mouse.

If you don't believe me on this part, compile the wacom driver into the
kernel, remove any references to the tablet from XF86Config, point the mouse
device to /dev/input/mice and you'll be able to use the tablet devices as
normal mice. Just no pressure sensitivity.

Elver Loho