yafray-devel

Re: [Yafray-devel] New syntax..

From: Alejandro Conty Estevez
Subject: Re: [Yafray-devel] New syntax..
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 19:50:21 +0100

> New year, new yable!

Great!

> I need some tip about the new hemilight parameters...I read from the
> home page that other are present now in 0.0.2-9.
>
> "AA"
>
> "tolerance"
>
> They are proper of the hemilight or belong to render tag?

render tag, but no AA it's just the old samples value, but now it
performs sampling in an adaptive way.

> I know, I could do some test or just read the source, but
> I want to make some "noise" in this mailing list :))

Yes, we should use this more often.

> Anther:
>       now the render sample values admitted are:
>
> 1, 4, 9, 16
> ok?

Any square number, we make tests with 25 but it could be higher

> Also, on hemilght:
> Sometimes I see some thing like:
>
> Randomsampling, samples value changed from 645 to 625

Changed by an square number, same as in render samples.

> But I think that yable don't have to matter about this.

Not necesary, leave it to the user. But if you want, you can allow only
square numbers.

> Now the texture gui is ready, I met some problems using
> shelve to store Python object (don't try this at home!!)
> so the upgrade was slower.
>
> I choosed to let the user add more textures on the same shader, even if
> only one is read from blender.

Yes, and another thing. Could you write down only relative paths? I mean
relative to the root export dir, like ./textures/... and so.

> For the others, the user has to write the full path of the texture, this
> could lead to errors while rendering.
> This will improved as I learn how to add a file selector.
>
> The "clouds" texture is present as well.

More things, eeshlo pointed me to potential tree slow down that he found
in his raytracer. So I changed 3 lines of code in mine and the two tests
eeshlo was trying went from 1 hour to 3 minutes and from 18 minutes to
3 minutes. Impressive! So we are now forced to release it. And with this
release there are two more changes in the file.

One: Now background works like a shader "modular". This will make us
able to write procedural sky or anything. So now, to put a fixed color
as background you have to do this:

<background type="constant" name="backg">
  <color r="0.81" g="0.9" b="1" />
</background>

<render camera_name="Camera" samples="25" raydepth="5"
        tolerance="0.06" background_name="backg" >
  <outfile value="salida.tga" />
</render>

And another thing. While eeshlo is thinking of writting a new render
method "pathtracing". I made a pathlight with partial pathtracing
capabilities. It does indirect illumination using pathtracing. The
sintax is this:

<light type="pathlight" name="path" samples="16" power="1.0"
randomsampling="on" depth="2">
</light>

It works like eeshlo's hemilight (it uses the same sampling code), but
with bounces and taking color from objects. Works very well with open
(sky visible) scenes. And I plan to make it work with closed scenes
taking energy from regular lights too (not only background).

I send here a sample, it took 3m35s

I'll keep you up to date.

jandro.