ykernel-misc

RE: [Ykernel-misc] (no subject)

From: Josh English
Subject: RE: [Ykernel-misc] (no subject)
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 07:40:58 -0700

Paras,

It's a nice idea to add graphics routines to any given kernel.  However, this would require creating an extreemly large, standardized API so that existing programs could be rewritten to run on this type of kernel.  I think that an additional disadvantage to having such high-level processes interact with the system at such a low level would contradict the current industry best practices.

As far as a POSIX standard, we are currently (Ishwar & I) working on creating a "hello world" type kernel from the linux 0.01 kernel source as a prototype model/learning experience aimed towards actual kernel design and coding.  No specific design goals or guidlines have been set at this time.

Ishwar, please feel free to clarify any of this.

- Josh