ykernel-proto-mono

[Ykernel-proto-mono] finally, something to do!

From: ishwarjoshi
Subject: [Ykernel-proto-mono] finally, something to do!
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 04:01:04 +0000

hi everybody!

i started this project exactly one year ago in august
2001.

i was quite preoccupied with my personal life for the
initial eight months of the project. after which, i had
to catch up on my other non-day-job projects which i am
working on since past few years. after which, i studied
for and gave a certification. after which, i was on
vacation last three weeks!

finally, i decided to roll up my sleeves and dig into
this project this weekend.

i have some good news for everybody! i think we have the
first step ready :-)

what i did this weekend was do simple changes to the
linux 2.2.x kernel source, compile it and boot a system
with it and see my changes. i think this is a good step.
becoz this means the basic infrastructure for hacking
the monolithic kernel prototype is in place.

in simple terms, i can now print messages (like Hello
World) in the kernel bootup sequence. it sounds silly
but feels cool when you actually see it happen ;-)

now, i am planning to keep removing parts of the linux
kernel until i get the most bare-bone possible
monolithic kernel. we can then study that and understand
it clearly. steps after that can be planned once we
reach this point.

i would like to invite all of you to find some time and
try to do the same stuff that i have done on your own
machines. that way we can all be in the same boat.

i am also eager to hear ideas and suggestions from every
member of the team.

my next mail contains detailed instructions on the stuff
that i have done this weekend.

should be fun now :-D

-
ishwar